Pick To Light Solutions | Santa Barbara
Raymond Handling Solutions is a Santa Barbara warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (805) 749-2777.
Businesses that run sophisticated warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for technologies that can boost productivity and reduce costs. These organizations usually carry out thousands of pick selections per hour, and solutions that offer higher pick precision can generate considerable expense decreases and improved client satisfaction.
Over the last few years, many new order picking technologies have been added to the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology stands apart for its ability to considerably increase warehouse performance while almost eliminating pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Order pickers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded adaptation of a specific customer order. Based upon the requisition, the system will instruct an operator to select a product from a certain bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems use lights installed above the racks or bins in order picking zones. Based upon each order, a light will illuminate with a quantity to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the order, and push the lighted button to verify that the selection has been fulfilled. When no more lamps illuminate, it communicates to the order picker that the request is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that implement pick-to-light systems can typically fulfill more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This means an almost tenfold improvement over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based systems. Here are a few other reasons warehouse managers may wish to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% boosts in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% accuracy rates
- Decreased order cycle times
- Greater throughput
- Abbreviated employee training time
- Superior customer satisfaction
- Reduced operational expenses through reduced labor, errors, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking processes
- Lowered costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into day-to-day KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are many Pick-to-Light suppliers with varying solutions, almost all systems utilize the following components:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system interacts with the user. Light devices have an LED to signify the slot of the product and an item count display so the user knows the number of products to pick. Usually there is a confirmation button on the device that the operator presses when a selection has actually been executed. Some light modules have bypass functions that enable pickers to increase or reduce pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric display screens are placed at each rack bay or pick zone. They indicate order numbers, handling guidelines and other essential information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Most pick-to-light installations use a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses supply electricity and data to lamps and displays. Each bus has an independent energy and information feed, meaning that the malfunction of one bus doesn't crash the whole system. Lights can be easily positioned at any point along the bus, so when SKU locations are reorganized the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants on the Central Coast
For more information on how you can introduce a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond Handling Solutions specialist today.
Raymond Handling Solutions
Santa Barbara County Service Area:
Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta, Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria