Pick To Light Solutions | Riverside
Raymond Handling Solutions is a Riverside warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (951) 384-2444.
Companies that run complex warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for innovations that can increase productivity and lower expenses. These organizations normally perform thousands of order selections per hour, and systems that offer greater pick precision can result in substantial expense decreases and enhanced client satisfaction.
Recently, several new picking innovations have been added to the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology is distinct for its potential to significantly increase warehouse productivity while almost eradicating pick inaccuracies.
How Pick to Light Works
Pickers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded representation of a specific client order. Based on the requisition, the system will require an operator to choose an item from a specific bin.
Basic pick-to-light systems employ lights installed above the racks or bins in order picking zones. Based on each order, a light will appear with a number of items to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the shipment, and press the illuminated indicator to validate that the pick has actually been completed. When no additional lights light up, it signals the order picker that the shipment is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that execute pick-to-light systems can frequently achieve more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This means a nearly tenfold gain over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based processes. Here are a few other reasons warehouse operators might want to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Reduced order cycle times
- Improved throughput
- Abbreviated employee training time
- Superior customer experience
- Reduced operating expenditures through lowered labor, errors, rework or chargebacks
- Consistent picking procedure
- Reduced costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick procedure with visibility into daily KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are countless Pick-to-Light vendors with diverse solutions, most systems incorporate the following components:
- Illuminated Signaling Devices. This is how the system interacts with the user. Light components have an LED to indicate the specific location of the item and an item count display so the user understands how many products to pick. Usually there is a verification button on the device that the operator pushes when a pick has actually been completed. Some light devices have override functions that permit pickers to increase or reduce pick quantities manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric displays are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They indicate order numbers, handling directions and other essential information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Many pick-to-light setups utilize a bus system that affixes to each rack face. These buses provide electricity and data to lights and display screens. Each bus has an independent energy and information feed, meaning that the malfunction of a single bus does not crash the whole system. Lights can be quickly placed anywhere along the bus, so when SKU locations are modified the system can be reconfigured quickly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Riverside County
For additional information on how you can introduce a pick-to-light program in your warehouse or distribution center, contact a Raymond Handling Solutions specialist today.
Raymond Handling Solutions
Riverside County Service Area:
Redlands, Colton, Rialto, Bloomington, Moreno Valley, Hemet, Perris, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Coachella Valley
Phone: (951) 384-2444