Pick To Light Solutions | Oxnard
Raymond Handling Solutions is an Oxnard warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (805) 667-0888.
Enterprises that run complex warehouse and distribution operations are always on the lookout for innovations that can improve performance and reduce expenses. These organizations generally perform thousands of order selections per hour, and solutions that offer higher pick precision can deliver significant expense decreases and improved customer satisfaction.
In recent years, several new picking technologies have entered the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology is distinct for its capacity to dramatically increase warehouse productivity while nearly eradicating pick mistakes.
How Pick to Light Works
Pickers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded adaptation of an individual customer order. Based upon the shipment, the system will direct an operator to choose an item from a certain bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems employ lights installed above the racks or bins in picking zones. Based on each order, a light will appear with an item count to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the shipment, and press the lighted button to confirm that the selection has actually been carried out. When no more lamps light up, it communicates to the picker that the request is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that execute pick-to-light systems can typically fulfill more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This represents a nearly tenfold increase over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based systems. Here are some other reasons warehouse managers may want to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% boosts in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% accuracy rates
- Decreased order cycle times
- Increased throughput
- Shortened worker training time
- Superior customer satisfaction
- Reduced operating costs through decreased labor, mistakes, rework or returns
- Predictable picking procedure
- Minimized costs through the elimination of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into day-to-day KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are many Pick-to-Light vendors with differing solutions, most systems include the following elements:
- Illuminated Signaling Devices. This is how the system communicates with the operator. Light components have an LED to signal the location of the product and an item count display so the operator knows the number of products to select. Generally there is a confirmation button on the device that the operator presses when a selection has actually been finalized. Some light modules have bypass functions that permit pickers to increase or decrease selection quantities manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are placed at each rack bay or pick zone. They signal order numbers, handling instructions and other essential information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Most pick-to-light setups use a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses supply electricity and digital information to lamps and screens. Each bus has an independent power and information feed, guaranteeing that the failure of an individual bus doesn't crash the entire system. Lights can be easily situated anywhere along the bus, so when SKU placements are modified the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Ventura County
For additional information on how you can implement a pick-to-light solution in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond Handling Solutions specialist today.
Raymond Handling Solutions
Ventura County Service Area:
Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Newbury Park, Ventura, Santa Paula, Simi Valley
Phone: (805) 667-0888