Pick To Light Solutions | Orange County
Raymond Handling Solutions is an Orange County warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (714) 790-9300.
Enterprises that run sophisticated warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for technologies that can improve efficiency and decrease expenses. These organizations normally carry out thousands of order selections per hour, and technologies that allow higher pick precision can generate significant expense reductions and enhanced client satisfaction.
Recently, many new picking innovations have been introduced to the marketplace. Amongst them, "pick-to-light" technology stands apart for its capacity to drastically increase warehouse productivity while almost eliminating pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Order pickers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded representation of a specific client order. Based upon the shipment, the system will command an operator to select a product from a certain bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems use lights mounted above the racks or bins in picking zones. Based upon each order, a light will illuminate with an item count to pick. Pickers select the item or items for the shipment, and push the lighted button to verify that the pick has been carried out. When no more lights illuminate, it communicates to the order picker that the order is done.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that carry out pick-to-light systems can frequently achieve more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This means a nearly tenfold gain over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based processes. Here are a number of other reasons warehouse managers may want to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% accuracy rates
- Decreased order cycle times
- Higher throughput
- Abbreviated worker training time
- Better customer experience
- Reduced operational costs through decreased labor, errors, rework or returns
- Consistent picking processes
- Reduced costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into day-to-day KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are countless Pick-to-Light suppliers with differing solutions, almost all systems involve the following components:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system communicates with the operator. Light modules have an LED to signify the slot of the product and an item count display so the user understands the number of products to select. Normally there is a verification button on the device that the operator pushes when a selection has been completed. Some light devices have override functions that allow pickers to increase or decrease pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric display screens are placed at each rack bay or pick zone. They indicate order numbers, handling instructions and other essential information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. A lot of pick-to-light installations utilize a bus system that affixes to each rack face. These buses supply power and digital information to lamps and screens. Each bus has an independent energy and information feed, guaranteeing that the malfunction of one bus doesn't impede the entire system. Lights can be quickly arranged at any point along the bus, so when SKU positions are changed the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Orange County
For more information on how you can introduce a pick-to-light solution in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond Handling Solutions expert today.
Raymond Handling Solutions
Orange County Service Area:
Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Orange, Santa Ana, Tustin
Phone: (714) 790-9300