Pick To Light Solutions | Ontario
Raymond Handling Solutions is a Ontario warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (909) 930-9399.
Companies that run complex warehouse and distribution operations are constantly on the lookout for technologies that can increase efficiency and reduce costs. These organizations normally perform thousands of pick selections per hour, and solutions that offer higher pick accuracy can generate substantial expense reductions and enhanced client satisfaction.
In recent years, many new order picking technologies have entered the market. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology stands apart for its capacity to considerably increase warehouse efficiency while almost eliminating pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded representation of an individual client order. Based on the order, the system will command an operator to pick an item from a specific bin.
Standard pick-to-light systems use lights installed above the racks or bins in order picking areas. Based on each order, a light will illuminate with a quantity to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the shipment, and press the lighted indicator to validate that the selection has actually been executed. When no additional lamps light up, it advises the order picker that the request is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that carry out pick-to-light systems can often reach more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This represents a nearly tenfold gain over warehouse pickers using paper based methods. Here are a few other reasons warehouse managers might want to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% boosts in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Decreased order cycle times
- Greater throughput
- Abbreviated employee training time
- Better customer service
- Reduced operational costs through lowered labor, mistakes, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking procedure
- Minimized costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into day-to-day KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are countless Pick-to-Light vendors with differing solutions, the majority of systems incorporate the following components:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system communicates with the user. Light modules have an LED to indicate the slot of the product and an item count display so the user understands how many products to select. Normally there is a confirmation button on the device that the operator presses when a pick has actually been executed. Some light devices have bypass functions that enable pickers to increase or decrease pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric display screens are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signify order numbers, handling guidelines and other relevant details.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Most pick-to-light installations utilize a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses provide power and digital information to lamps and display screens. Each bus has an independent power and information feed, meaning that the failure of an individual bus does not bring down the whole system. Lights can be quickly situated anywhere along the bus, so when SKU placements are changed the system can be reconfigured quickly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Ontario
For more information on how you can introduce a pick-to-light program in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond Handling Solutions specialist today.
Raymond Handling Solutions
4602 E Brickell St.
Ontario, California 91761